Farmington River Report 4/27/22: I can’t wait for April to get here

Another unseasonably cold, windy afternoon on the river. I decided to check out the lower section below Collinsville, mostly out of Hendrickson curiosity. The water was higher than I’d like for wet fly (755cfs is still chugging; sub-500 would be best) but you don’t know if you don’t go. I began in a faster, snottier boulder-studded section; not surprisingly, it was a wet fly blank. I didn’t nymph it, which might have produced a different result.

Bug activity was, at first, minimal. Ubiquitous midges, then a mystery mayfly (see below), and then a few precious H-words. The mystery mayfly far outnumbered the Hendricksons, probably 10:1 or so. When the sun peeked out, the hatch ramped up. And when the clouds took over, the hatch stopped in its tracks. I managed a good half dozen trout on wets — this was in slower moving water — catching them blind and also by targeting active feeders. While few and far between, the active feeders all pounced on a well-placed wet fly. I fished the same team as Monday, a Squirrel and Ginger on top, followed by two tungsten beadhead Hendrickson soft hackles. I had an accident trying to land a trout by hand, and lost the middle dropper; when I re-tied, I exchanged the point fly for a tungsten SHBHPT.

I wasn’t satisfied with the surface activity, so I did a bit of nymphing. Normally I would use a traditional drop shot nymph rig, but this time I kept the three fly team and added a drop shot section to the point fly and one of my home-brew year indicators to the tapered butt. It worked just fine, and some of the takes were highly aggressive, almost bordering on frantic. After 2 1/2 hours, I’d had enough. I tried for one more trout on a swung wet, and, once successful, headed for the warmth of the car.

The mystery bug, about a size 14-16. Some kind of olive? Quill-something? Whatever it is, it far outnumbered Hendricksons. I don’t stress when I can’t ID a bug; if you try to match the general size, color, and profile with a wet fly or nymph, you’ll tend to do well. This is why it’s a smart idea to carry soft hackled Pheasant Tails in various sizes, beaded and unbeaded. That pattern looks like a lot of things in general, and almost always like something that’s alive and good to eat.

17 comments on “Farmington River Report 4/27/22: I can’t wait for April to get here

1. Paul says:

I’d guess Blue Quill (Paralep Adoptiva) ?

2. Paul says:

Hey Steve , nothing to do with the little bug up top but question for you on flatwings. If I can find hackles/capes suitable for them what colors should I get if I was going to only buy 2-3 ?

I should have raided the Keough bins at the show but I didn’t know what I was looking for in the type of feather. What about those “flatwing” feathers from Hairline I think it is ?

I don’t know anything about Hareline “flatwing” feathers, so I can’t help you there. I know Keough sells saddles specifically for flatwings. I think your best bet would be to go through Joe Cordeiro (flat-wing.com). I’m pretty sure he gets his stuff from Keough but he’ll do the vetting process for you which is important if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

If I had to choose only three colors, they would be white, yellow, and blue. (The last two when combined make green). Good luck!

• Paul says:

Thanks Steve , I did get one cape from Joe but he only had one flavor to choose from and everything is sold out now. I guess some guy came in when the doors opened with a duffle bag and cleaned him out.

3. darrelln09 says:

Are you sure you aren’t seeing both male and female Hendricksons on the water? The males are a little smaller with a reddish abdomen and red head while the females are bigger with a tan/gray/pink abdomen and an olive head. At one time they were actually mistaken for different species until it was realized that one species couldn’t be entirely female or entirely male.

I don’t know what it is. This isn’t some kind of trick quiz. 🙂

I would like to know, but for me the most important part of this discussion is that the predominant hatch wasn’t Hendricksons — and that if you generally match the bug in the manner which the fish are feeding, you’ll tend to do well.

5. gene brubnell says:

As paraleps have three tails I’d guess it’s probably baetis vagans

6. Tim Farrell says:

Another very informative report. I hope to get out soon!
    Thanks

Looks like a Red Quill (the male Hendrickson), ephemerella subvaria

8. Bill says:

Steve could the third tail be dormant? Look closely and you’ll see a small projection on the rear. Bill