Showtime on Tyers’ Row

The CFFA Expo just might be the best little fly fishing show going. This is the second consecutive year I attended as a tier. Fellow tier Tommy Baranowski remarked that the crowd seemed steadier and more substantial this year. I’d be inclined to agree.

So, what goes on at these events when you’re part of the show?

Not much tying. At least not for me. I think I tied eight wet flies and one streamer in six hours. I’m a slow tier, but that’s pushing ridiculous. What was left wanting in productivity was made up for in talking, though. Most of it about fishing and tying. So much that my throat is a little sore right now. But, I don’t mind. These shows are a tremendous way to connect with friends, followers, and fellow aficionados (including those of single malts and cigars). Thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hi, ask questions, our watch a demo. It was a labor of love for me.

Thanks also to the vendor (who shall remain anonymous so as to make his altruism shine even brighter) who only charged me $20 for $22 of stuff, then threw in a bunch more stuff for free. Endless tight lines to you, sir.

Thanks to the Baranowski boys for being such swell neighbors, and thanks for the fly, Matt.

Thanks to Capt. Ray for the archival flatwing article.

Thanks to Dr. Kuhrt for lending his photography skills.

And thanks to the CFFA for letting me be a part of it all. I’ll tell you, this is one job that does not suck.

“But, you’ve really got to watch out for this guy here.” I’m not sure what I was saying, but I think I must have made my point. And nothing says outdoors and fishing like that groovy Fantasy Suite disco light veil.

CFFA 2015

13 comments on “Showtime on Tyers’ Row

1. Ted says:

Steve, Thanks for tying for our club

2. John says:

Steve – recuperating fro a hip replacement. Sad not to make it. That fox squirrel I ordered made all the difference.

3. flybemoc@gmail.com says:

Steve it was a good show. And I can’t wait to use squirrel and ginger wets. Thanks again

Sent from my HTC One on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network

It was nice to finally meet you. Many thanks for the flies and for demonstrating your dubbing loop technique.
    Alton

5. Bob Winot says:

Steve, Thanks for showing the couple of flies. I did my best the next day to copy them. Not perfect, but close enough. You are always a welcome addition to the fly tier row.

Hi Bob,

Thanks, and glad you could stop by. The nice thing about wets is that they don’t need to be perfect to work. Also, practice makes…well, closer to perfect. I find that if I don’t tie a certain pattern for a while, it takes a couple flies to get the old energy back. The trout will tell you if you’ve got it right. 🙂

6. larry marino says:

Steve is the wet fly demo still on for 03/04 in unionvillle if not where and when. Thanks

Hi Larry,

To clarify, it is not a wet fly tying demo, but rather a presentation on wetfFly fishing. I haven’t heard anything about a venue change, but I will look into it and get back to everyone.

7. Georges Boyer says:

could we please see the archival flat wing article?