Currentseams Q&A video debut: Adding weight (or not) to striper flies

Welcome to the inaugural edition of Currentseams Q&A videos.

I really like the idea of answering questions in a video/podcast format. It allows me to provide more comprehensive answers, and include visual elements in my explanations. Everyone learns differently, and I hope this covers more bases for more people.

What’s more, while the internet is a terrific way to connect with people many miles away, sometimes the written word can’t compete with a little face time. (Although you may see now why I have a great face for radio.) Victor Borge said, “The shortest distance between two people is a laugh.” I hope these will be fun as well as instructive.

If there’s a question you’d like answered, send me an email or leave a comment. In the meantime, I hope this helps.

14 comments on “Currentseams Q&A video debut: Adding weight (or not) to striper flies

1. RMLytle says:

I’d like to know whether you use big patterns that imitate bait fish like bunker or hickory shad, and if so how you present them.

I like the concept of this video for all the reasons you mentioned. The only thing I would add (if life was perfect) are close-up views of the flies you use as examples. They’re just too small to see much detail in your full torso video set-up. For novice tyers wanting to learn some techniques the opposite is true. When you are demonstrating the dubbing loop technique (on your Partridge and Light Cahill soft hackle video) a wider shot would be great. But at least you mentioned you were twisting the loop with your hackle pliers so people could get the idea.

Gee, what you need now is a videographer!

Don’t get me wrong, I like the videos very much. I’m just giving feedback on my thoughts at the time of viewing.

Alton

3. Gary Bogli says:

Steve look forward each day to read Currentseams each morning. I am an avid wet fly fisherman and talked to you at a cffa meeting. I am thrilled that I can see your flies tied on video. I believe Roger is trying to book you for one of our meetings.
    Happy Hatches, Gary

4. Steve Douville says:

I’m sorta new to your Blog, great info for a 61 year old guy three years new to fly fishing.

You got me going on soft hackles this week.

Some for ct. And some for spring steelhead!

Thanks,

Keep up the great writing

Steve Douville Andover Ct

Ps : first met you at TU meeting last fall

Sent from my iPhone

5. Brian Labowsky says:

Well done Steve. Looking forward to the next installment.

6. Nicely done, Steve! Looking forward to more of the same.

7. Kevin says:

Thanks Steve, great subject.