Housy Smallie Mini Report: Two Points

I fished within the TMA yesterday from 7pm-8:45pm and it’s an easy outing to sum up:

1. The fishing stunk. I found very few bass that wanted to play. The dusk bite reeked even worse, with only a few small fish showing themselves, and even they were keyed on insects. They wanted nothing to do with my bigger flies.
  2. I fell in. Soaking wet, water cascading down your leg, squishy walk out — you know the drill. On the positive side, if you are going to immerse yourself while fishing, doing it on a piss-stinking hot day in 76 degree water isn’t all that horrible. And my cigar remained dry. Little victories, people. Little victories.

No. Not yesterday.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

24 comments on “Housy Smallie Mini Report: Two Points

1. Brian Labowsky says:

Been there, done that. You do get style points for the positive attitude.

2. Manny says:

One thing about the Housy … you will fall in sooner or later.

Love it though…..

3. aablodgett says:

Damn! I was holding my breath until you revealed that the cigar survived. Like Brian said above, been there , done that. And I’m sure I’ll do it again. As long as the rod and cigar survive the fall all is well.

4. Kenny Ludwig says:

At least the camera didn’t fall in as well.

5. Alan Petrucci says:

I had a laugh on the taking a dip….did the same today at the farmington

6. John Pavao says:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. it was extremely warm yesterday. maybe just too warm even for the smallies. the fish are deep in the holes seeking cooler environment.
    this is wet wading weather. we wade either in shorts or quick drying running pants.
    since you didnt mention it- assume the white flies have not started? thanks for the report.

Concur with the deep hole theory. On the other hand, I was near plenty of deeper water refuge.

I won’t wet wade on the Hous for two reasons: abundant poison ivy and those damn ledge-like rocks. As an aggressive wader, I shudder to think of the potential carnage from all the times I lose my balance and bang/scrape my shins and knees against submerged rocks.

Ixnay on the White Flies.

7. Frank says:

Waderless “wet wading” has a time and place…the time is now! πŸ˜„
    Got some tiny 5″ smallmouths and a couple 9″ browns on an olive soft hackle in a Catskill mountain stream the other night…the trout were definitely a gift!
    Tightest lines and dry cigars…
    Frank

8. david Hufnagel says:

Fished the Housy on Friday evening and Sat early am and the fishing was SLOW. Not much surface activity as in other years.

9. Greg Tarris says:

As they use to say, “close but no cigar”. Certainly apropos for you !

10. Bob Dibble says:

Sometimes things go sideways and you have to embrace the suck. The only thing worse than your little incident is sitting on the couch wishing you were on the water. What kind of score do you think that little bastard from East Germany would have given you…….

11. Bob Dibble says:

Ooof, two points, sounds like your gonna have to work on your triple klutz skills. 1000 cfs last Friday, no bueno for 4 or 5 days, let the flow get below the median daily for 2 days and have at it. Should be perfect conditions now, I’ll be after em’ tonight.

I hear you, but I am a big fan of “the best time to fish is when you can”….within reason.

It wasn’t that spectacular of a fall…balance lost, momentarily regained, then I was sitting in two feet of water….