Thanks to TU Croton Watershed for hosting me last night

All I can say is that the bar has been raised. It wasn’t just the great turnout — the room was packed with attentive members who came armed with dozens of good questions. It wasn’t just the welcoming, friendly spirit of the group. No, it was both of those things and the cheeseburger and beer they took me out for before the presentation. A well-fed presenter is a happy presenter.

Last night’s talk was Wet Flies 101. I brought along a selection of a dozen wet flies for their raffle, and left with a Croton Trout Unlimited hat in the bargain. Thanks so much, everyone, for your kindness and hospitality.

Black Caddis Spider

Next up: Eastern Brook Trout at the TU Naugatuck/Pomperaug Chapter on Wednesday, October 1. See you there.

12 comments on “Thanks to TU Croton Watershed for hosting me last night

1. terps311@aol.com says:

Steve-Your presentation was great. One of the best ever. Randy

2. John Tague says:

It was good to see you Steve. I really enjoyed the wet fly presentation. Thanks for joining us. John Tague

3. John Genovesi says:

Steve, Thanks for presentation. I guess “what goes around…” because my recommendation to Bob to invite you paid off in spades, as I won your flies!

Two things– 1) can you email your leader diagram and 2) can you share the recipe for your sulphur emerger pattern with me. Looks like a flymph. Is that correct?

Many thanks,

John Genovesi Past President, Croton Watershed TU

Sent from my iPad

Hi John,

I hope those flies work out for you. I’ve caught fish on all of them. Certainly, I can email you the diagram. Send me an email and I’ll respond in kind. The Pale Watery wingless wet variant — AKA “The Magic Fly” — can be found on this site. Just do a search. I’m not a fan of the noun “flymph,” so I stick with “wingless wet.”

Thanks, Randy. I had a lot of fun. It was good to see you.

5. Harry Kerrigan says:

Excellent presentation Steve – We really enjoyed having you with us, and we’re looking forward to having you back again. And thanks again for the fly board / door prize. Could you please e-mail the leader diagram ? Thanks.

6. Sumner Jaretzki says:

Long-time TU, but that was the first meeting I’ve gone to, and it was so good. Steve, you were a blast, and your ideas about wet flies are eye-openers. I’m going to email you to ask for the dropper rig diagram, and beg for that slide which had the 4 types. And the names of the authors you cited. (I haven’t poked around this blog yet, so some of this might be here.) Thank you for sharing your knowledge! Sumner

7. Mike says:

What a great presentation. Glad to have attended and learned so much. Thanks and tight lines!

8. Glenn Baken says:

Steve – I really enjoyed your presentation at the TU meeting. Unpretentious, fun, interesting, engaging, encouraging, clever – are some of the words I used when telling friends about the great talk I went to the other night. Your method confirms much of what I read and have been learning this year. 90% of the feeding takes place under the water, makes sense right – that’s where the fish are. Please come back and talk more about making ugly flies that catch beautiful fish