Calling all readers: help me with some future Q&A videos

As we transition into fall, I will be trying to get off my video butt. One of the items I want to get back to is the “Currentseams Q&A” series. Here’s where you come in.

I need some input on questions and subjects you’d like answered. Fishing, tying, equipment — whatever’s on your mind. If you could take a few moments to respond in the comments section, I’d appreciate it. (Good fishing karma will be bestowed upon those who offer suggestions.) To be clear, I’m looking for input on questions to be answered — those could involve fly tying (“How do you double or fold a marabou hackle?”) or anything else related to our sport.

Thanks in advance.

Q: Is that a sculpin or a crayfish or a trout fry? A: Nope.

Farmington River brown buck

40 comments on “Calling all readers: help me with some future Q&A videos

1. mfs686 says:

Personally I like to see videos for fly patterns. Videos of Striper fishing would be cool as well.

Anything in particular about striper fishing?

I do most of my striper fishing at night, solo, so it’s hard to get usable footage.

• mfs686 says:

I just like videos of Stripers, unfortunately though you are right, alone and in the dark makes it difficult. I do most of my fishing for walleye alone
        at night and it makes for lousy pictures.

2. Michael Silfen says:

Steve – more video regarding tying wet flies. Would especially like to see video on how to tie ginger and squirrel. Also, if you are feeling ambitious how about a wet fly 101 fishing technique video.

– Michael

3. Sumner Jaretzki says:

I would like to see how you tie your dropper rigs.

4. Ron says:

Would like to see your technique for swinging for stripers? Also some swinging techniques for steelhead. Pictures of the flies you use and the recipe for the flies.

I don’t do a lot of swinging for steelhead, Ron — in fact, over the years, my swinging for steelhead time could be measured in hours — single digits. But, a swing is a swing. I greased line swing for trout, stripers, steelehead — once you learn it, you can use it anywhere. Still, a worthy subject!

I already have an extensive library of flies/pictures/recipes (and a couple videos), but I will be adding more.

5. Jim Cannon says:

Steve can you comment on adding weight when you tie nymphs…pros/cons opinion on using unweighted nymph w/ conditions based amount of splitshot versus just adding lead under body when tying? Thanks

6. Ted Rzepski says:

I’d like to see how you build your leaders for various types of presentations. I’ve been buying commercial leaders and adding tippet as they get short. There has to be a simpler less expensive way.
    Ted

7. Bill Derhammer says:

Steve, I would like to see a tying video on the Ginger and Squirrel wet, don’t know if I am getting it right. Mine seem very sparse and don’t last long.
    Thanks, Bill

8. Will says:

Long line nymphing would be great Steve. Safe fish handling. Safe navigation while wading in tidal rivers/flows.

When you say long-line nymphing, do you mean like covering water using an indicator?

• Will says:

Yes and no Steve. Borgeresque with an indicator and a 15-25 foot leader… but also more polish/french/spanish/cz styles where you are often fishing mono to reel without an indicator.

Unfortunately, Will, I can’t help you there. I don’t fish nymphs with a long leader, and I don’t do any kind of Euro nymphing. But those are great topics.

9. JonH says:

I would love to see a video highlighting various striper presentation techniques…maybe one that ends with landing a twenty pounder 🙂

10. Mike K says:

I would like to see the anatomy of the swing, how you mend, angles of presentation, etc. Perhaps a video of you on the appropriate water on a river from a distance so we can see how you cast, mend and retrieve! Thanks!

There have been a lot of interesting requests so far. I would like tying instructions on your version of the Master Splinter and the Squirrel and Ginger. An episode on your 3-fly rigs…who goes where in the rig (positioning) and why. And maybe something on the seasonal choices for nymphs and wets?
    Alton

12. Howard Park says:

So much great information shared by you has made thus a great source for the Farmington River and the Salt. When do you expect the hottest striper action at the eastern end of Long Island sound and when would it be time to get back up to the Farmington? Then of course, what flies are hot for fall and early winter fishing on the Farmington? Thanks again for shearing all this

Howard, I think I can best answer your first two questions here. When stripers from the shore in the east will heat up is anyone’s guess. For years now the “fall run” has been a major disappointment for me. Maybe this year will be different. Current water temps off RI are well into the 70s.

It’s always time to get to the Farmington. I fish the river 12 months a year. In the last month I’ve caught my largest trout (plural) of the year by targeting the faster water.

I like the flies for fall and early winter. Maybe that could fit with a general approach to the river question.

13. mcjtreb says:

I would like to see a video on fly tying equipment. What do you need to start, best flies to start with, more of an intro to fly tying equipment. One other item, would be flies to use for bass fishing.

Mike

14. MIchael Williams says:

I have read many books and articles on the various “swings” and their associated elements for striped bass presentation, but I am a very visual learner and have trouble visualizing. Kenny Abrams’ books offer the best graphics I’ve seen, yet I’m intuitively not understanding them. Thus, I have trouble picturing elements of your posts when you speak of when a striped bass took a fly relative to a portion of a “swing”. So, what I would greatly appreciate is a video of the line as it executes the various “swings”, such as a greased swing, with a corresponding voice describing what the viewer is seeing. I appreciate the difficulty of what I seek.

Michael

Michael, I do indeed appreciate that everyone learns differently. The challenge for me is finding someone/somplace to put the camera so there is a meaningful visual. I shall meditate on this.

15. Bill Donnelly says:

Hey Steve love the site. How about a short video on your casting strategies for multiple fly rigs?

16. david bennett says:

Steve: Does it make any sense to video a section of the river and then using a hi-lite tool to either discuss the different potentials that would be represented in that water. Maybe combine it with a specific fly tying session. I have read the information in books but your video could really hit home.

That’s an interesting idea, David. As an amateur videographer, I would be concerned that what I’d shoot would not communicate the way I would want it to. I don’t like doing anything that does not meet my minimum standards. For now, I’m trying to build a list of topics I can shoot in my tying area like the first one I did. But I hear what you’re saying, and I won’t rule it out for a future segment, albeit on a more simplified scale.