Whose woods these are – the state’s, I know.

But I have bought a license, so;

They will not mind me stopping here

To swing my streamers in the flow.

~

That little bird must think it queer

For I’m the only angler here

Somewhere within the TMA

My first fly outing of the year.

~

The big brown gives his head a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound’s the scrape

Of line through guides of ice all caked.

~

The river’s lovely, dark and deep,

But I must get back to my Jeep,

Three trout today, none did I keep,

Three trout today, none did I keep.

~

Remnants from the last ice age. The river was clear of shelf ice, running at 550cfs, 35 degrees.

Ice Field

~

First customer of the day. Lovely colors.

Wild Brown 1:15

~

Saved the best for last. Some-teen inches, just hammered the fly as it swung across a seam.

Streamer Brown 1:15

~

Articulated streamers with jaunty names that push water catch trout. So do unnamed single hook streamers tied with a slim profile. I’d used this fly before — it’s a one-off from a couple years ago — and the trout found it to their liking today. Fished on a full sink line with a three-foot leader, swung and stripped. It opens up a bit in the water, but it’s still a fairly sparse tie. Tungsten bead head, so it rides hook point up.

Highlighter Streamer

7 comments on “Stopping by Woods on a Sunny Afternoon (Farmington River report, with apologies to Robert Frost)

1. Richard Heffernon says:

Nicely done. Mr Frost would be proud! Look forward to seeing you at the CFFA Expo.

2. RMLytle says:

What a good way to present report!
    That is strange color pattern to offer a trout, I’ve used plenty like that for crappie and bass. I’m sold though, three is a good number this time of year!

I often use those colors for striper streamers. I guess trout like them, too. “Bright day, bright colors,” goes the old saw. I think it was also a matter of material (marabou) and being in the right place at the right time. Although I had not a tap on a black streamer, nor an olive and grey one.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

3. Jim Smith (The Elder) says:

Steve, Nice touch.

4. mike says:

once again Nicely done.

5. bmanser says:

i don’t often comment – but you outdid yourself with the poetic bent…. bravo